For me, there is nothing more comforting and heartwarming than a fresh, homemade banana bread. While our instagram feeds seem to be filling up with baking mixes and indulgent banana breads during self-isolation & quarantine, I thought I would share my recipe for a bit of a healthier banana bread option. You can keep it classic or if you want- add chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit, seeds…anything you fancy!
When I made it yesterday and Jonas saw it on our kitchen island, he was so excited. He said he loved how it was moist, chewy, not too sweet and more of a banana bread than a cake. He ended up having 4 slices!
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 185 degrees C and grease your loaf pan with a little bit of oil or butter.
- Cream the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in the greek yogurt and cinnamon. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the banana mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until flour disappears.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove bread from pan, invert onto rack and cool completely before slicing.
I hope you try making this banana bread yourself and if you do- let me know how you get on in the comments!