Staying at home when Jonas is at work means I have been experimenting and making new meals for dinner for the both of us. I try and think outside the box and create something I haven’t before, or simply instead of buying a store-bought sauce, creating it from scratch and putting my own twist on things.
When we moved to California and stayed in the hotel for a few weeks, Jonas and I really enjoyed Panda Express and the various delicious selections they have there. Maybe even too much!
We love the orange and teriyaki chicken they have there, so I decided to make my own Teriyaki/Honey Garlic Chicken for us to enjoy one evening. (I thought it would be a bit of an easier option to try out before I attempt making a homemade version of the orange chicken.) We both absolutely love this recipe and if we are craving something a bit less healthy but absolutely delicious, I make this. It’s actually very quick and easy once you have all the ingredients and goes perfectly with rice for a good movie night in! The recipe also works wonderful with prawns 🙂
- 2 cups diced chicken breast
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- Place the chicken in a sealable bag or medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl or measuring cup, mix sauce ingredients- garlic, ginger, crushed chilli flakes, honey and soy sauce.
- Pour half of the sauce on the chicken and save the other half for later.
- Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- In a medium pan, heat oil and cook carrots and broccoli for a few minutes. Once they start to soften, add chicken to the pan, but discard the used marinade. Cook chicken on one side for about a minute, then flip over.
- Pour in remaining marinade and cook until chicken and veggies are fully cooked through. (If you want, you can add in a tablespoon of flour and mix it in very well to thicken the sauce a bit).
- Serve with rice and enjoy!