With every beginning of a new year, the internet is filled with everyone’s New Years Resolutions…
I think it’s great to set yourself some goals or plans for the future, but setting hard-core, drastic resolutions can often be daunting and lead to failure. I often see lists of resolutions spanning 20 countries someone would like to visit this year, or a specific amount of kgs they want to loose, all the way to something like going 100% vegan from January and going to the gym 2 times a day, 7 days a week….
This year, instead of writing a list of “Resolutions”, I’m just setting a few friendly goals for myself that I will try and live by this year. I want these to become habits for me, rather than resolutions with deadlines or numbers on them, which will make them feel a lot more like a chore. These may expand throughout the year or I may add a few completely different ones depending on my feelings and situation. Don’t think of your goals being set in stone and not amendable at all- if you want to add some on, please do. It’s never too late.
- This year, my first goal is to love my body more and treat it right. That doesn’t mean I am going to stop working out, or on the other hand- work out 7 days a week… At the moment I’m actually not working out at all as I’ve been super busy and haven’t been able to. But, I have been walking a lot and giving my body some love through stretching and little pamper sessions. I want to eat more healthy and fuel my body the right way, especially when I will be back into working out- refuelling will be crucial. If weight loss comes with this (which it most likely will) – great! But I’m more about listening to my body and giving it what it wants and needs.
- My second goal is to take things slow. As I have become older, I have noticed how rushed I sometimes feel. Not because of anyone else, but purely because of my nature. I don’t like not knowing what I’m going to do today- I like to have a plan and I often like to rush things to ensure I get everything done. But, sadly, that can lead to missing out on the fun and living in the moment. So this year I am aiming to be more chill, take it slowly and always give myself some time in the day just to be by myself and do something I love. Not something I HAVE to do, but something I LOVE. Such as listen to music, go for a sunset walk, bake something from scratch, take a bath or write a blogpost that makes me smile.
- Over the past few years I have been exploring the wonderful world of Podcasts and Audiobooks and that is one thing I want to take into 2020 with me. When I was working in the UK, they were a staple for me during my commute, but now since I am at home or with friends and family all day, I don’t listen to them as much. However, I can’t wait to get back into a routine of listening to them daily. During on a car drive, walking Bella, making food or cleaning up… podcasts and audiobooks are the way to go!
- Carrying on from my last goal, I also want to read more physical books. I have quite a lot I haven’t read and I often say I don’t have time for them. But the truth is, I often prioritise something more “fun” than reading a book, although when I finally do sit down to read, I can spend hours reading and enjoying it. So, I also want to prioritise reading this year. This doesn’t mean I am going to read X books in a year, or X hours per day, because then it will feel like a chore to me. I want it to be fun for me and a time I enjoy, so whenever I am bored or have some free time, I will prioritise books.
- I want to challenge myself and learn something new. There is so much in this world we don’t know or will never know… and that is quite sad. I may not learn something extremely hard or challenging, but I do want to continue to learn this year. There is a quote which sums this up pretty well- “The moment you stop learning, you start dying”. It may be quite harsh, but I am beginning to believe it. So, a few things I want to stick my feet into this year is learning to speak Spanish, continue to learn DIY things such as candle making and ceramics (both things I’ve done before and ABSOLUTELY loved) and one for Jonas and myself- dancing!
Now… this last bit isn’t a goal, but it’s something I am VERY excited about and am looking forward to. There is a big change happening for both Jonas and I in the next few weeks and I can’t wait to share it with everyone. Once it actually happens, I’ll update all of you on here & I can’t wait to do so! ❤