Are you a fan of lemon cake and feel like baking this weekend in preparation for December? Then you’ve got to try out this delicious and slightly healthier version of a Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake featuring some Blueberries too! It’s very easy to make, is nice and rich in flavour and super moist- perfect with a cup of coffee or tea 🙂
50g unsalted butter
50g coconut oil
3/4 cup caster or white sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp Poppy Seeds
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups plain flour
- Mix together the coconut oil, butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in 1 egg at a time.
- Add the zest and juice of 2 lemons and the buttermilk. Mix well to combine.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix thoroughly. Make sure to not over-mix, otherwise the cake will become chewy.
- Add in the Poppy seeds and blueberries into the batter. Feel free to add more or less of each, depending on your own preference.
- Pour the batter into a lined baking tray and bake at 180 degrees C for 30-40 minutes or until lightly golden on top and when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool a bit and enjoy!