Even if the weather is starting to cool down, there are always ways of enjoying some salads in the fall season. My favorite and easiest way to do so is to make them a bit more filling, packed with protein and healthy fats by incorporating some nutrient-rich shelled hemp seeds.
Technically a nut, hemp seeds are very nutritious. They have a mild, nutty flavor and are often referred to as hemp hearts. Although small, they’re an exceptionally nutrient-dense option for a salad topping! Hemp seeds contain over 30% fat, however, it’s mainly two essential fatty acids, linoleic acid (omega-6) and alpha-linolenic acid (omega-3). More than 25% of their total calories come from high-quality protein. And, they are also a great source of vitamin E and minerals, such as phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron and zinc.
So, to get you started with using these lovely hemp seeds in your meals, I’m sharing my go-to easy protein packed shelled hemp salad recipe! It’s the perfect addition to some lean protein such as chicken or grilled fish during lunch or dinner.
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup rocket
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup Feta Cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon
- 2 Tablespoons Shelled Hemp Seeds
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Mix the greens in a large bowl.
- Add in the tomatoes, cucumbers and bell pepper and mix with the greens.
- Dice the Feta Cheese into cubes and sprinkle on top of the salad.
- In a small bowl- place olive oil, squeeze in lemon juice, a pinch of pepper and salt and sprinkle in 1 of the tablespoons of Shelled Hemp Seeds. Whisk the contents together to form a salad dressing.
- Pour the dressing on top of the salad and sprinkle with the remainder of the hemp seeds. Enjoy!