We all have someone in our lives that are the ultimate morning person… someone who always wakes up happy, seems like they have their life together and enjoy every single day, no matter what the day brings. After talking with Jonas, reading articles and listening to ted talks, podcasts and videos about the topic of morning routines of successful people, we noticed the number one constant factor was that everyone who enjoys mornings has a morning routine or ritual, that they follow without any exceptions.
By no means am I the perfect morning person- I definitely do not follow my own routine and ritual every single day, but I do try my hardest to do so. I don’t always workout and that is definitely something I will be focusing more and more of my time on, but I do strongly believe that having a constant morning ritual you follow every day (even on the weekends) is the key to a successful morning and a the day that follows!
I may ask Jonas to share his tips in another post if you’re interested (let me know in the comments!) , but for now I thought I would share my top 5 elements of my morning ritual that I try and keep every morning that helps me stay positive, energetic and looking forward to the day ahead!
- Drink water. Water is crucial for your body and mind- the majority of your body is made up of water and in order to ensure proper body function, drink water first thing in the morning to stay hydrated. Especially after we sleep, our bodies can get seriously dehydrated. I always have a glass of water on my bedside table- that way I always have at least half the glass while I get ready in the morning!
- Prep your coffee the night before. If you’re like Jonas and I – we can’t do anything in the morning until we have our coffee! Some days I will make a tassimo americano using our machine, but we both prefer fresh coffee using our filter machine. It only takes 5-10 minutes for the coffee to prep, but we put the grounds and the water the night before, so that in the morning all we have to do is press the button and don’t have to fuss about cleaning it out and making it all from scratch. If you have a french press- prep it all the night before as well. Place the coffee grounds in the cafetiere so that all you have to do is pour the water and wait for it to steep!
- Wake up 30 minutes early. Even if you don’t plan on working out or really doing anything before you need to do something in the morning, try and wake up an extra 30 minutes early. It may sound weird, but you will ALWAYS find something to do in that time. Preferably not social media-related, but something beneficial. Jonas loves to read during that time- I like to take my time and enjoy my coffee while slowly getting ready and those 30 minutes just put you on a right path for the day. Not having to worry and rush, not panicking about having to run out the door and having those 30 minutes extra to do whatever you want!
- Workout. I am trying to workout 3 times a week, although I have got to say- some weeks are better than others, but working out is definitely a great thing to add into your morning ritual. If I don’t have the energy or the time for an intense workout and a shower afterwards, I atleast do some light exercise and a stretching routine. It’s great to move your body first thing as it wakes you up and also puts you in a health-conscious mindset for the entire day ahead. Also, who really wants to workout after a long day at work?
- 5 minute journal. This is the newest addition to my morning ritual, but ever since Jonas gifted it to me during Christmas, I have been using it almost every day! The 5 minute journal asks you to fill in 3 simple questions in the morning and 2 in the evening- first thing when you wake up and last thing before you go to sleep. It makes you think about the positive things that have happened, will happen or you are grateful for and encourges you to be optimistic and appreciate everything you have! It has literally changed my mornings- I hardly ever have those negative mornings where I want to do anything BUT go to work or do any chores anymore as it makes me appreciate everything I have. If you want to learn more about the 5 minute journal, check out their website here!
I hope these tips help you in one way or another and get you thinking about your morning routine! Speak soon 🙂