In the New Year, many people aim to get back into a healthy routine and stay healthy! After the holidays, you may have gained a bit of weight or gotten used to a more relaxed routine filled with treats and indulgences. To make it easier for you and for me to get back into a healthy routine and bounce back after the holidays, I thought I’d share my top tips with you! This will also hopefully keep me accountable for staying on track and hitting my 2018 health and fitness targets! 🙂
- Plan your workouts and your meals. Whether it means writing down your plans for the day or for the week, having a to-do list makes you visualize what you have to do and more likely to follow through! It will also give you physical structure for the week or day ahead! Writing down what you plan on eating or preparing in the kitchen will also take away from you spending your time and contemplating what to eat when the time for your meal arrives. It will make sure you’re prepared in advanced and will remove the possibility or urge to order a less healthy take-away!
- Drink more water! I can never chant this enough- water is essential! I know when I’m not in my usual routine over the holidays, I don’t drink half as much water as I would do on a normal work day! That causes me to feel a bit more sluggish, less energetic and also makes me get headaches, so having enough water is essential for me! It also helps me feel a bit more full throughout the day, meaning I don’t snack as much! I always aim to have around 2-3 litres a day and to make it easier to drink, I mix it up by adding in a bit of squash, fresh fruit or herbs!
- Set a daily mini-goal. This year, I am going to try and set a small goal everyday which will be health or fitness related and I urge you to do that too! I’m thinking of starting with a goal for a week or two which will be : A salad a day! I absolutely love salads but I sometimes feel like I want something more filling or warming. However, there are so many different salad you can make that will make you stop craving anything unhealthy! Salads really have no limit and they are one of the healthiest things you can eat to power your body! They’re also low in calories and high in fibre and nutrients, which will help you maintain your weight or loose a few kilos after the holidays! So, set a health related goal for yourself everyday and do your best to reach it!
- Skip the alcohol. Over the holidays many of us may have overindulged and enjoyed a few too many drinks. That is absolutely fine- it’s the holidays and everything in moderation is great! However, if you want to get back on track, reduce those calories and get into great health- skip the drinks for a bit! Whether it’s a few weeks or the full month of January or February- try and skip the alcohol and enjoy more water! It will reduce the calories, reduce the risk of dehydration and give your body a bit of a chance to detox!
- Be active everyday. This doesn’t mean you need to go to the gym for a 1 hour session everyday, but it does mean if you stay at home everyday or drive the car or take the train everywhere- take 20 minutes everyday to go for a walk or a jog! I walk 20 minutes everyday to and from work, so I am excited to get back into that as it’s like a mini cardio session for the day! However, sometimes on the weekends Jonas and I stay at home all day and do no activity at all, so this year, my goal is even on the weekends- to go for a walk or a jog every day! If Jonas is off to the gym, I’ll follow him and jog or walk to the gym and work at the starbucks whilst he is working out, or I’ll see if I can join him for a squash session! If the weather is permitting- I’ll try and go for a hike up surrey hills! A little bit of activity is great not only for weight management, but also for your joints, muscle tone and your mental health as well!
- Follow inspirational instagram or youtube accounts. With social media being the centre of attention nowadays, we may as well use it to our advantage! If you want to stay healthy and need a bit more motivation everyday to eat healthy, stay active and reach your goals or bounce back to healthy habits after the holidays, then scrolling through an inspirational instagram feed may spike your inspiration or motivation! I absolutely love following some great instagram accounts for food and fitness motivation, such as @Toneitup @creativenaturesuperfoods @toneitupnutrition and more!