I’m a big fan of various types of sinful desserts but I love experimenting and finding ways of making them more healthy! An example of using applesauce as a butter or oil substitute can be seen in my carrot cake recipe. It makes the cake so soft and moist, yet cuts the fats and calories significantly! A couple of years ago I made a brownie recipe using applesauce instead of butter and I remember my mom, Jonas, his family and friends were all quite big fans of it- so I decided it’s time to bring this recipe back! I’m sharing it with all of you here today 🙂 These brownies are so moist and the consistency is a bit less cakey than normal brownies, but I think they are still very delicious! When I make these they’re often gone the same evening! enjoy:)
Recipe: Makes one batch of brownies (18-20 pieces)
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form- then add the sugar and mix until fully combined.
2. Add in the applesauce and mix through.
3. Beat in the one whole egg into the mixture.
4. Add in parts the dry ingredients – cocoa powder and flour until fully incorporated.
5. Add the chocolate chips or any other add-ins of your choice.
6. Pour batter into a greased baking tray, spread the batter evenly and bake at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes.
7. Once the 20 minutes are over- take out the brownies and let them cool before slicing and enjoying! 🙂