These festive cupcakes are very easy to make and are super delicious! There is something about the combination of gingerbread and orange that I love- and this soft and moist cupcake recipe with this cream-cheese glaze is amazing! 🙂 The recipe is very simple, just calls for quite a bit of ingredients, but definitely worth a try this holiday season!
Recipe: Makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar or molasses
1/4 cup honey
2 1/4 cup plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup warm water
For the cream cheese glaze:
100 g softened butter
220 g cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
zest of 1 orange
juice of 1/2 orange
For the cupcakes:
1. In a bowl mix the dry ingredients (apart from the sugars) in a bowl, set aside.
2. In a bigger bowl- mix oil, eggs, white sugar until pale and thick. Then add the brown sugar and honey – mix well.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and the warm water. Mix well until smooth.
4. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners and pour batter into each liner until they are 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 180 degrees C or until the top of the cupcakes springs back or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Once they’re done – allow them to cool before frosting them.
For the glaze/frosting:
1. Beat the soft cream cheese and butter until completely smooth.
2. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time until full incorporated.
3. Grate in the zest of one orange and squeeze in the juice of 1/2 the orange, mix well.
4. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled- frost each one with some of this delicious frosting/glaze and enjoy!