So for Jonas’ birthday I wanted to make him some red velvet cupcakes, but it’s either me or the food colouring both in Lithuania and in the UK isn’t very good since I can never get the batter to be red- so I made him black velvet cupcakes! They’re exactly the same as red velvet but without the food dye. If you want them to be red- try and find a very strong red food colour, but I think they’re just as great without the red! Definitely a very sinful treat though! enjoy 🙂
Recipe: makes 12 cupcakes
for the cupcakes:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup buttermilk
for the cream-cheese frosting:
3/4 cup cream cheese
2 tbsp cup unsalted butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups powdered sugar
1-3 tbsp of milk
decorations or sprinkles of choice (optional)
- Mix together the butter and the sugars in a large bowl. Add the eggs and mix in completely.
- To the mixture- add cocoa powder and the vanilla extract, salt, baking powder and buttermilk- mix until smooth.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time and mix until lump free.
- Line cupcake or muffin tray with cupcake liners and pour batter into each cupcake lines 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake cupcakes at 180 degrees C for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Once the cupcakes are baked – take them out of the oven and let them cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes are cool – in a large bowl cream together the softened butter and the softened cream cheese. Add the vanilla extract and add in powdered sugar little by little- making sure to mix slowly.
- Add the remaining of the powdered sugar and add a tbsp or so of milk if you think the frosting is too thick to spread.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cool and the frosting is prepared- either pipe some or use a spatula to spread some on each cupcake and add sprinkles if you wish.