This recipe is so delicious, healthy and filling! Back home in Lithuania, grikiai (buckwheat) is extremely popular and it’s definitely a staple in everyone’s cupboard. During the summer my mom and I went to Stebuklai, which is a restaurant I have done a previous post on and she ordered this wonderful dish that was buckwheat with veggies and eggs. I remember both of us being mesmerised by how delicious it was, so this morning when I woke up and noticed that Jonas had some buckwheat in his cupboard, I decided to make the recipe myself and I believe I managed quite well! As you will see – I used a range of vegetables I could find, but had I planned this in advance, I would have used some bell-peppers and mushrooms as well! Also, feel free to use either fresh or frozen vegetables (like I did) and add whatever you like!
Hope you enjoy!
Recipe: served 3-4
200 g. buckwheat
vegetables of your choice, diced to small pieces: I used
1/2 cup courgette
1/4 cup red onion
1/3 cup celery
1/4 cup sweetcorn
1/2 cup green bean, carrot mix
2 vegetable stock cubes
2 egg whites
2 tbsp olive oile
- Cook the buckwheat according to the instructions
- Heat up a pan with olive oil on medium heat and cook onions until golden and soft.
- Add more solid vegetables first – I added the celery first, then once it softened a bit added the remainder of the vegetables. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are nicely cooked, add a splash of water and the stock cubes – let them dissolve completely.
- In a clean pot on medium heat – put the cooked buckwheat and add the cooked vegetables. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the egg whites and mix well to ensure the egg whites get cooked by the hot buckwheat and vegetables.
- Serve with a knob of butter and enjoy!