Christmas to me associates with foods that have hints of mint, chocolate, orange or ginger! So today – I’m sharing this wonderful gingerbread cake recipe that I have made several times before and also gifted to some very special people this year 🙂 I think it’s so nice and festive, a lovely gift + makes your home smell amazing when it’s in the oven! The cake is warm and moist and the cream cheese frosting is sweet, smooth and also has a nice citrus kick to it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
For the cake:
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar or molasses
1/4 cup honey
2 1/4 cup plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup warm water
For the cream cheese frosting:
100 g softened butter
220 g cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
zest of 1 orange
juice of 1/2 orange
1. In a bowl mix the dry ingredients (apart from the sugars) in a bowl, set aside.
2. In a bigger bowl- mix oil, eggs, white sugar until pale and thick. Then add the brown sugar and honey – mix well.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and the warm water. Mix well until smooth.
4. Line a square pan with a baking sheet, pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes at 180 degrees C.
5. Once it’s done – leave it in the oven but turn it off and open the door up a bit to allow the cake to cool gradually – this will prevent it from collapsing in the middle from a sudden drop in temperature.
6. As the cake cools, beat the soft cream cheese and butter until completely smooth. Then add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time until full incorporated. Grate in the zest of one orange and squeeze in the juice of 1/2 the orange, mix well.
7. If the cake is flat – perfect, if not- flip it over and spread the cream cheese frosting on the base of the cake to have an even surface.