A truly decadent, delicious, sweet, moist and sinful treat! Made these the other day for Jonas’ family and everyone seemed to love them! I really liked the frosting – so chocolatey and perfect with these cupcakes!
Recipe: makes 18
1 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup boiling water
1 cup buttermilk
1 3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
For chocolate buttercream frosting
2 tbsp cocoa
2 cups powder sugar
2-4 tbsp milk
1. Mix the cocoa powder with the boiling water to form a paste and add the buttermilk- mix thoroughly to get rid of any clumps. In a separate bowl – mix flour, salt and baking powder.
2. In a big bowl – beat together softened butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly to combine.
3. Add the flour mixture to the eggs, butter and sugar in two parts, alternating with the chocolate mixture until everything is evenly combined in a uniform batter.
4. Line muffin/cupcake tin with cupcake liners and fill them 3/4 way full with the cupcake batter. Bake at 180 degrees C for 20-25 minutes. Let cupcakes cool completely.
To make the frosting:
1. Beat room temperature butter until soft and fluffy. Mix in powder sugar and cocoa powder slowly and thoroughly. Add milk until a spreadable consistency forms.
Take cooled cupcakes and frost using a piping bag or a spatula to dollop and spread the frosting evenly. Feel free to keep them like this or decorate with fruit, sprinkles or nuts. I used roasted peanuts for some of the cupcakes I made as for some of them I also added a teaspoon of peanut butter in the centre of each cupcake before putting them into the oven to bake, making sure the batter covers the peanut butter before baking them.
Hope you enjoy!