I am sharing my favorite cupcake recipe that I have mastered and keep on going back to. It’s a very tangy and very rich lemon cupcake with lemon curd filling and lemon buttercream. Although it is quite a sinful treat, I made the cupcakes a bit healthier by substituting half the butter with coconut oil and also use buttermilk to keep them moist. If you want to omit these- just use more butter, although I think they are amazing the way they are!
I made them a couple of times before and Jonas and I absolutely love them. They are so satisfying but also fresh and perfect for summer! I made these for our anniversary a couple of weeks ago and can’t wait to make more soon! Please do try them out! 🙂 enjoy!
Recipe: makes 6 large cupcakes
50g unsalted butter
50g coconut oil
3/4 cup caster or white sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups plain flour
Lemon Curd (homemade or store bought)
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
250g icing sugar
3-5 tbsp milk
- Mix together the coconut oil, butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in 1 egg at a time.
- Add the zest and juice of 2 lemons and the buttermilk. Mix well to combine.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix thoroughly but do not over mix.
- Line cupcake or muffin tins with cupcake liners and fill them with batter 3/4 full. Bake at 180 degrees C for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden on top. They will rise as they bake and then settle when down as the cool.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely- cut or scoop out a circle in the top of the cupcakes and add 1 tablespoon of lemon curd to each cupcake. Take the caps of the cupcakes, cut them to form flat tops and place on top of the lemon curd to cover the cupcake.
For the buttercream:
- Beat room temperature butter until smooth. Then slowly add the icing sugar and start to mix. Add the juice of 1 lemon and milk as you go to make a thick yet spreadable consistency.
- Cover your cupcakes with this lovely lemon buttercream and enjoy!